The article, “3 killed, 2 injured,” 7-19-16 made me realize we have an urgent situation in Baltimore City. None of the politicians, including the mayor, the City Council, and police chief, are willing to acknowledge this urgent crisis. I wonder why that is – why they do not have the guts to tell the truth. So….by process of default, I will step up to the plate. The citizens of Baltimore should know exactly what the truth is about the crime problem.
A war is going on between 95% of the law abiding citizens of Baltimore City and the other 5% consisting of drug lords, gang lords and drug addicts. This 5% of the population are winning right now because of the failure of the elected politicians to do their jobs. Citizens in Baltimore City are getting shot up everyday now, and this is unacceptable.
Here’s what needs to be done. I submit the mayor must ask the governor to declare a state of emergency in Baltimore City. Once this is done, the national guard can be brought in, temporarily, for a 3-week period to clear out the gang lords, drug lords and hangers-on. I believe if this were to be done, we would witness the largest reduction in crime in the history of Baltimore City for that specified period of time. The law abiding citizens should then demand that they be told the truth – There is a huge shortage of police officers to provide the safety that the 95% of law abiding citizens deserve.
A crash program to hire at least 500 more police officers should be implemented. More police officers and more foot patrols would go a long way in curbing the atrocities being committed on the streets of Baltimore City every day. The attack on officers today makes hiring additional ones no easy task, but we need to come to grips with the mission and reward these heroes with the incentives and rewards that most of them truly deserve. Kevin Davis’ idea for the relaxation of drug standards for police applicants (“Davis: pot rules hinder hiring,” 7-22-16) is not going to be a magic potion for hiring additional officers. And making deals to reduce the number of officers in exchange for pay increases is not a solution. We need both – more officers and pay increases together.
I plan to ask Governor Hogan to declare a state of emergency in Baltimore City and to call up the National Guard – actions that will finally bring a measure of badly needed protection to the law abiding citizens of Baltimore City.